These are some thoughts on this Sunday's reading from Philippians for the Second Sunday of Creation-Sky Sunday. This went out to the people of St. Timothy via email. 

Philippians 2:14-18
14 Do all things without murmuring and arguing, 15 so that you may be blameless and innocent, children of God without blemish in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation, in which you shine like stars in the world. 16 It is by your holding fast to the word of life that I can boast on the day of Christ that I did not run in vain or labor in vain. 17 But even if I am being poured out as a libation over the sacrifice and the offering of your faith, I am glad and rejoice with all of you— 18 and in the same way you also must be glad and rejoice with me.

Paul was in prison for his faith. He was concerned for his beloved Philippian church and so gives them these instructions. 

But I have to tell you that when I read this passage, I couldn’t help but wonder what in the world it had to do with Sky Sunday. They were certainly reaching when they chose that text. The only sky-related thing I saw was the part about shining like stars in the world. And how does this all relate to creation and environmental stewardship?

It is in our behavior that we are the light of Christ in the darkness of this world. If we are constantly arguing and murmuring, how will people see Christ in us? By the same token, how we treat the rest of creation reflects the light of Christ in us as well—either positively or negatively.

When I hear the words “shine like stars in the world,” I immediately think of this passage from the Old Testament Book of Daniel, “Those who are wise shall shine like the brightness of the sky, and those who lead many to righteousness, like the stars forever and ever” (Daniel 12:3). 
Any thoughts as to how all this relates to our third Sunday in the Season of Creation, Sky Sunday? I would love to hear from you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bidden or Not Bidden...

Dancing with the Trinity

Vulnerability Friday Five