A Clash of Kingdoms

Here are some thoughts on this coming Sunday's gospel sent to the people of St. Timothy Lutheran Church.  However, I will not be preaching. For the first time in many years, we'll be home with part of the family for Thanksgiving. Hope yours is a blessed one of wonderful time with family and friends with much to give thanks for.

Gospel: John 18:33-37

33Pilate entered the headquarters again, summoned Jesus, and asked him, “Are you the King of the Jews?” 34Jesus answered, “Do you ask this on your own, or did others tell you about me?” 35Pilate replied, “I am not a Jew, am I? Your own nation and the chief priests have handed you over to me. What have you done?” 36Jesus answered, “My kingdom is not from this world. If my kingdom were from this world, my followers would be fighting to keep me from being handed over to the Jews. But as it is, my kingdom is not from here.” 37Pilate asked him, “So you are a king?” Jesus answered, “You say that I am a king. For this I was born, and for this I came into the world, to testify to the truth. Everyone who belongs to the truth listens to my voice.”
REFLECTION
On Sunday we will celebrate Christ the King, which marks the last Sunday of this liturgical year which has featured Mark’s and John’s gospels. Here Jesus is on trial. We have a clash of two kingdoms: that of this world and that which is not of this world. One is ruled by force and Christ’s kingdom is ruled with love. 

As Handel’s Messiah proclaims, “the kingdoms of this world are become the kingdoms of our Lord, and of His Christ: and He shall reign for ever and ever.” It is the kingdom of love and truth that will last forever.
 


Picture


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bidden or Not Bidden...

Dancing with the Trinity

Vulnerability Friday Five