Freedom is Only in the Truth

Here are some thoughts on this Sunday's gospel for Reformation Sunday that were shared with the people of St. Timothy Lutheran Church.  What are your thoughts?Gospel: John 8:31-36

31Jesus said to the Jews who had believed in him, “If you continue in my word, you are truly my disciples; 32and you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free.” 33They answered him, “We are descendants of Abraham and have never been slaves to anyone. What do you mean by saying, ‘You will be made free’?”
34Jesus answered them, “Very truly, I tell you, everyone who commits sin is a slave to sin. 35The slave does not have a permanent place in the household; the son has a place there forever. 36So if the Son makes you free, you will be free indeed.”

 

Jesus is speaking of spiritual realities and the Jewish audience understands his statement in physical terms. Jesus speaks of truth and freedom. The listeners latch on to the part about freedom declaring they have never been slaves to anyone.

 

That sounds good, but the Jewish audience has forgotten its history. They were enslaved to the Egyptians, the Babylonians, and now, the Romans. They have “never been slaves to anyone”? Really?

 

Maybe our response to Jesus would be much the same. We’ve been baptized. We love Jesus. We regularly go to church. But are there things we have allowed to enslave us, to stunt our spiritual growth? Ask God to show you the things that may be distracting you in your relationship with him. Then give them to Jesus so he can give you his freedom. He alone reveals the truth that sets us free.

 

In meeting with my spiritual director, the other day, we talked about the various things that I am finding to be distractions right now. I have quite a list of things to do before surgery on 11/17. She suggested making a list of them and then giving them to God; maybe even make them a burnt offering, by setting the page on fire. I didn’t do that.

 

Are there things making you anxious, running continually through your mind? Maybe you too, need to list those things so that you can address them and get rid of them.

 

The song, This is My Father’s World, speaks to the peace we can receive from God’s unseen presence all around us. Hear these words as a prayer.

1 This is my Father's world,
And to my listening ears
All nature sings, and round me rings
The music of the spheres.
This is my Father's world:
I rest me in the thought
Of rocks and trees, of skies and seas--
His hand the wonders wrought.

2 This is my Father's world:
The birds their carols raise,
The morning light, the lily white,
Declare their Maker's praise.
This is my Father's world:
He shines in all that's fair;
In the rustling grass I hear Him pass,
He speaks to me everywhere.

3 This is my Father's world:
O let me ne'er forget
That though the wrong seems oft so strong,
God is the Ruler yet.
This is my Father's world:
Why should my heart be sad?
The Lord is King: let the heavens ring!
God reigns; let earth be glad!

Amen!

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bidden or Not Bidden...

Dancing with the Trinity

Vulnerability Friday Five