You Can Get There from Here

New Englanders will be familiar with this expression, "You can't get there from here." You hear this when you are asking directions. It seems you should be able to get to your destination. Sometimes it's even in sight, but you just don't know the road to take.

In walking with God, if we are prayerfully considering something, listening as he speaks through scripture and other members of his body, WE CAN GET THERE FROM HERE!!!

Just over two years ago I went back to school part time. I feel called to serve God and his church through the ordained ministry of Word and sacrament in the ELCA. To get there, I had to finish undergraduate study to go to seminary.

I am now one year away from graduation. The next step is candidacy. This is a process through the synod. Your church and pastor have paperwork to fill out. You complete an application and an autobiography. Then it all goes to the synod. You meet with the committee, have psychological testing and hopefully then you receive their endorsement. They discern that indeed God is calling you to ministry. After endoresment, it's off to seminary.

I made it over the first hurdle last night. I met with our church council president. He was very encouraging and said he would put me on the agenda for the next council meeting. I expressed concern about the cost considering some of the financial struggles the church has been going through. He is also on the finance committee. He just told me there are some things you just have to do in spite of the cost. Needless to say, that was a load off my shoulders. With his lead, I am confident the council will approve the funds for this and I'll be set for the next step. God is faithful.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bidden or Not Bidden...

Dancing with the Trinity

Vulnerability Friday Five