17I pray that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give you a spirit of wisdom and revelation as you come to know him, 18so that, with the eyes of your heart enlightened, you may know what is the hope to which he has called you, what are the riches of his glorious inheritance among the saints, 19and what is the immeasurable greatness of his power for us who believe, according to the working of his great power.
First, God bookends this passage. he is at the beginning and the end. He is the actor and we are the ones acted upon.
- loaded with verbs
- repeated words
- know (twice)
- power (twice)
- spirit of wisdom and revelation
- eyes of heart enlightened
- know hope to which he has called you
- "riches of his glorious inheritance among the saints"
- immeasurable greatness of his power for believers
- How-"according to the working of his great power"