What's Your Name?

We have all been called names, some good and some bad. I remember being called fat, difficult, insubordinate, careless, slow. What about you? Sometimes you aren't actually called a name, but treated in a way that implies you are careless, stupid, a screw up? It's painful. What does God say about names?

"Whoever has ears, let them hear what the Spirit says to the churches. To those who are victorious, I will give some of the hidden manna. I will also give each of them a white stone with a new name written on it, known only to the one who receives it" (Rev. 2:17).

Naming is very personal and intimate. We name our spouses, children, our pets. We have "pet names" for those we love: sweetie, honey, sweetheart. God names us, calls us beloved, my child, precious, holy and mine. Can you imagine the Lord having a special, pet name for us, that only he and we know?

"Fear not, for I have redeemed you;
I have called you by name, you are mine.
2 When you pass through the waters, I will be with you;
and through the rivers, they shall not overwhelm you;
when you walk through fire you shall not be burned,
and the flame shall not consume you.
3For I am the LORD your God,
the Holy One of Israel, your Savior" (Isaiah 43:1b-3a ESV).

What is your name? Is it God's name for you? We are who he says we are. And he doesn't just name us and forget us. He names us, walks with us, surrounding us with his love.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bidden or Not Bidden...

Dancing with the Trinity

Vulnerability Friday Five