Perfect Storm

Last night Ray and I watched The Perfect Storm, a movie depicting a true story of a fishing crew's battle against the forces of nature. Their ship was minuscule compared to the huge waves that washed over it and eventually destroyed it. Contrasted with their struggle was that of a crew that called out, "Mayday" and were rescued.

A while back as I read this
passage its significance struck me. Jesus is portrayed as this amazing man who rescues his friends who struggle with their faith or lack thereof. They issued their own "mayday" to the Lord and he responded. Today this hits even closer to home as I struggle with storms of sleeplessness, pain, and emotions.

"Lord, my boat is so small and your sea is so big." It sometimes seems like life's circumstances are whipping us around uncontrollably. We are not exempt from life's challenges just because we are people of faith, but God is with us in the small boats of our lives, in the midst of the storms.

He is the one I want to/need to trust and follow. Just as the winds and seas on the Galilee obeyed him then, the winds and seas of our lives are his as well. Giving up fear and worry, control is the issue. Will I trust in this "kind of man?" By the grace of the one who is able to do "immeasurably more" than we could ever imagine I can. What challenges do you face that you find hard to release to God's care?


Picture from flickr.

Comments

Jan said…
I liked reading about your granddaughter on the beach in RI.

Then I had to look at your profile to find out where you lived. For one year we lived in North Kingstown, RI. So I know where West Warwick is!
Ivy said…
I guess you do know where West Warwick is! We have friends in N. Kingstown.

Thanks for visiting, Jan. By the way, I love the name of your blog, "Yearning for God." All I can say is, "Amen!"

Popular posts from this blog

Bidden or Not Bidden...

Dancing with the Trinity

Vulnerability Friday Five