God Invites Us

Here are some thoughts on this coming Sunday's First Lesson. See what you think about the text and let me know your thoughts. This was sent electronically to the people of St. Timothy Lutheran Church. 

First Reading: Isaiah 55:1-9
1Ho, everyone who thirsts,
  come to the waters;
 and you that have no money,
  come, buy and eat!
 Come, buy wine and milk
  without money and without price.
2Why do you spend your money for that which is not bread,
  and your labor for that which does not satisfy?
 Listen carefully to me, and eat what is good,
  and delight yourselves in rich food.
3Incline your ear, and come to me;
  listen, so that you may live.
 I will make with you an everlasting covenant,
  my steadfast, sure love for David.
4See, I made him a witness to the peoples,
  a leader and commander for the peoples.
5See, you shall call nations that you do not know,
  and nations that do not know you shall run to you,
 because of the Lord your God, the Holy One of Israel,
  for he has glorified you.

6Seek the Lord while he may be found,
  call upon him while he is near;
7let the wicked forsake their way,
  and the unrighteous their thoughts;
 let them return to the Lord, that he may have mercy on them,
  and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon.
8For my thoughts are not your thoughts,
  nor are your ways my ways, says the Lord.
9For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
  so are my ways higher than your ways
  and my thoughts than your thoughts.

To those who have experienced long years in exile, the return to their homeland is a celebration of abundant life. God calls them into an everlasting covenant of love. Those who return to the Lord will enjoy new life and forgiveness, because God’s ways are not our ways” (sundaysandseasons.com). This is a great, general explanation of what this reading is about. The people of God were in a time of great uncertainty and God reaches out to them. 

God reaches out to us as well—in times of rejoicing, in times of sorrow and in times of indecision and anxiety. One such time for myself was when my first husband and I were divorced and both of the kids were living with me. I was working two jobs; sometimes up to 80 hours per week. All the money that came in went out to pay for bills, groceries and gas. Needless to say, I was tired and anxious.

One Sunday morning I was the lector at church in Rochester. This was the first lesson and I felt it was speaking right to me: “you that have no money, come, buy and eat! Come, buy wine and milk  without money and without price.” As I read this aloud, I heard that I did not have to worry about the 
provision for my needs. God had it taken care of. Now, many years later, I can see that was the case. 

But this is not only about physical needs, but spiritual ones too. God is calling out to us, drawing us into a deeper relationship with God. This time of Lent, with its emphasis on prayer, is a good time to explore various means of prayer and how we can respond to our Lord’s overtures. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bidden or Not Bidden...

Dancing with the Trinity

Vulnerability Friday Five