Rewards of Welcome

Here are some thoughts on Sunday's gospel. This was sent out to the people of St. Timothy Lutheran Church, Bemus Point, NY.

Gospel: Matthew 10:40-42

[Jesus said to the twelve:] 40“Whoever welcomes you welcomes me, and whoever welcomes me welcomes the one who sent me. 41Whoever welcomes a prophet in the name of a prophet will receive a prophet’s reward; and whoever welcomes a righteous person in the name of a righteous person will receive the reward of the righteous; 42and whoever gives even a cup of cold water to one of these little ones in the name of a disciple—truly I tell you, none of these will lose their reward.”
Yesterday, when Ray and I were reading from 30-Day Journey with Dietrich Bonhoeffer, the book we’re reading for our Adult Study session, I came across these words that hit me like a ton of bricks. See what they say to you regarding this gospel passage. “The exclusion of the weak and insignificant, the seemingly useless people, from everyday Christian life in community…may actually mean the exclusion of Christ; for in the poor sister or brother, Christ is knocking at the door.”

Jesus is still speaking to his disciples before he sends them out to proclaim the good news. Rather than the emphasis being on all the awful things they may encounter, as it was earlier in chapter 10, Jesus is talking about the rewards one will receive who welcomes one of God’s messengers. In fact, it’s like the person has welcomed Christ and God the Father.

We don’t know exactly what the rewards will be, except that they will be in the future. And who are the “little ones?” I suspect they are those that others might ignore because of their lack of status in this world, and yet they are messengers of God and God rewards anyone who tends to their needs. I cannot help but think of Matthew 25:31-46, the judgment of the nations. Jesus says, “I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink…Truly I tell you, just as you did it to one of the least of these who are members of my family, you did it to me” (vv. 35, 40).

We, as God’s church, are the ones being sent into the world, but we are simultaneously those who are being asked to receive the little, insignificant ones who are also messengers of God. It works both ways.

Lord, open our eyes to those around us, those you send to us. Make us welcoming and generous in our dealings with all God’s children. Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bidden or Not Bidden...

Dancing with the Trinity

Vulnerability Friday Five